Pages

30.6.08

Wrapping Sandwiches

You can save money on clingwrap, and prevent rubbish going to landfill by using alternative methods for wrapping sandwiches in a packed lunch.

My husband usually takes a sandwich to work. He uses a lunchbox with a compartment but he prefers his sandwich in a separate bag so that it is easy to remove and stays together. I avoid using cling wrap wherever possible. I use the bottom half of plastic bread bags (I cut them), when I have them. I also use the plastic inserts that come inside cereal or other boxes, though they need to be small enough to contain the sandwich. Otherwise I use ziploc bags which he brings home again and are washed for reuse (the aforementioned bags are thrown away). Growing up our sandwiches were always wrapped in greaseproof paper but I don't keep this product at home now, and am not sure that it would break down in the compost bin if I used it regularly.

No comments: